A little  information about the prints I sell

What does Giclée mean?

The term “giclée” refers to the printing process involved in making these prints. It derives from the French verb Gicler meaning “to squirt” or “to spray”.  The ink is sprayed on in microscopic dots of ink from an inkjet printer onto the art paper or canvas. This process not only allows for a better quality image, but also allows the colour to be calibrated to match the original more precisely. All of this means you are getting a print that is the best possible representation of the original piece of artwork. 

What is hahnemuhle paper? 

These hand signed, limited edition, Giclée prints are done on German Hahnemuhle 308 gsm art paper.  It is archival quality paper, also known as museum quality and is acid free meaning that it is resistant to aging and will not yellow over time. I have tried many different papers but I always go back to this one. It costs the most because it is the best.

 The 308 gsm (grams per square meter) refers to the weight of the paper.  The higher the number, the heavier the paper and generally the better quality and feel of the paper. I could use a lower gsm or thinner paper as many might because you wouldn’t necessarily notice the difference (especially if the print is matted or framed) but I use the 308 gsm which again costs more, but that is because it is better. I want my prints to be the very best they can be. 

What about sizes and framing?

We print to image size, not paper size. This means you will get a bigger image and less white paper, but also that you will need a custom frame because the sizes of the prints all differ slightly depending on the size and shape of the original. Some are more rectangular and some are more square therefore they do not all fit in regulated sizes.

If you need a print exact to size, please write note in “notes” and I can have the print printed to an exact paper size.

We also offer a bespoke framing service in house – please contact me for more information